Skip to main content

Alice in Wonderland Book Celebration Club!

This past year, inspired by the BraveWriter idea of  "Party School"  I started a Book Celebration group with a few local homeschool families. Every other month we read a book and come together to celebrate it! It's a book club with a festive flair, and so far, the kids are having a blast!

So, I thought I would blog our parties for anyone who would like to read, you know, like the grandparents.

Our first Book Celebration was in September for Alice in Wonderland. We met at a local park to have our very own Mad Hatter's Tea Party! 


We started with a introductions and an icebreaker. Make the Cheshire Cat Smile was a winner!

One person was the Queen of Hearts and tried to get anyone at the party to smile, proving that they were, in fact, the Cheshire Cat! The Queen could do anything to make them smile EXCEPT touch them!

When the Queen revealed the Cheshire Cat, we crowned a new Queen and began again!

This was a fun way to get everyone laughing and comfortable with each other.

We continued with a fun bookmark craft (which I failed to take a picture of!) and book discussion. We run these two portions at the same time during our book club. Since we allow younger siblings to come as well, we divide the group into a younger and older group and they swap stations. This has really seemed to work for our group.

Next the children were invited to join us for our tea and snack, but first they had to find their invitation! I had hidden these tiny teapots around the park and they had to find the teapots as their entrance to the tea! This was a lot of fun to watch!

Once they found their teapot and were admitted to the finely set table, they enjoyed tea and juice along with fruit and Eat Me cupcakes! Several mamas pitched in to help with the snack and they did such a great job!



Before they left, several of the kids also played croquet!
We didn't have any flamingos or hedgehogs, but they sure used their imaginations! One little girl squealed with glee everytime she "whacked a hedgehog"!

We had a blast and I can't wait to celebrate more books with these fun kiddos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry tea time with boys

In our home we can easily fill our days with busyness. With two little boys, life IS busyness. But the chaos that is the modern life can easily push that busyness into chaos. We have sports and activities on top of a educational plan that challenges each of the boys. It's easy to get lost in the challenge and tally up your successes. It's harder to slow down and find beauty and just savor a moment. In my heart I desperately want the boys to remember more than just their multiplication tables from our journey together. I want them to have wonderful memories of our time. So, I'm very diligent about making sure we have those opportunities. We take hikes, we ride bikes, we do science experiments, we build legos. Have you notieced a theme? We DO. In case you missed it earlier, boys are BUSY! (Disclaimer: I'm sure girls are too. I just have no frame of reference. Sorry) So, I have my hands full with these two little boys and then I read these lovely, I mean, Lovely, did you

Blast from the past

One of the things that Alex and I try to do on a semi-regular basis is go out on dates. Sometime, somewhere, I read that going out with your spouse once a week allowed you to continue to grow and build your relationship, especially once your children are born. That way, when your children are grown and out of the house, you are not sitting across from a complete stranger. Well, we certainly don't make it out once a week, but I think we do pretty good at least going once a month.

Our Favorite Phonics Program

Reading. Without a great foundation of reading the remainder of a child's education will be a struggle, and for me, that was incredibly daunting. So, how do you teach it? Phonics? Sight words? Whole language? Some combination of the above? There are advocates for all sides, research for and against them all, but through the research I have done, we chose to utilize phonics. Now, I could bore you and go on and on about the why, but there are already great resources out there for that. Instead I'm going to share my struggle with teaching reading (fun!) and some resources we used along the way.