Skip to main content

It's dizzy time!

You spin me right round, baby right round. Like a record player blah blah blah blah.

 This song has been stuck on repeat in my head all morning. Now maybe it will be stuck in your head too! You're welcome! Right now, my boys are gathering the mountain of books that need to be returned to the library and I'm taking hiding in the school room to take a quick break. From what you say? From the spin cycle.

Last week I wasn't on the spin cycle. I was focused. I was planning. I was preparing for the start of school. I was busy, sure, tweaking and modifying lesson plans, reorganizing, sewing curtains for the school room, because that just HAD to happen before Monday (just wait, there's a whole blog post coming about those curtains), but I wasn't on the spin cycle. I was focused on one thing and that was the start of school.

Monday came and it was fun and beautiful and everything I hoped. The boys didn't fight. Mama didn't bite anyone's head off. We learned, we celebrated. Lovely.

Then Tuesday came and with it brought a whole slew of emails that demanded my attention. Screamed for it really. Responsibilities. Obligations.  The rest of the world was back and asking that I participate again. It's the start of the school year and EVERYTHING we are involved in as a family seems to follow the school calendar. Seriously, everything seems to be starting this week and all of the last minute planning and events is making my head spin!

Some people would say that this crazy is my fault. Those people would be right. For the most part, all those emails were self inflicted. My JOB is educating my children so everything else that needed my attention yesterday was the EXTRA stuff. I have a need desire to be involved in lots of groups and activities and once involved I'm going to likely end up on the planning committee for said activity. It's what I do and I love it. I really do, just ask my husband. Anybody reading this that is involved with any of those activities, please hear me, I REALLY DO ENJOY IT! This is not a "woe is me" post. It's more of a "glimpse of real life" post. It just gets a wee bit crazy this time of year.

So, what am I going to do? I'm going to sit back. Turn up the Chipmunks and embrace the spin. My coffee and I will spin right round with the chaos. By the time September gets here we should be settled into a nice routine, until then, dizzy is good!

What about you? Does August make you dizzy?

Comments

  1. Dizzy is what we all need in our lives at least for short times

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler Book Celebration

Whew! That blog title is a mouth full! Funny story, when I tried to introduce this book to our book club, I couldn't spit the title out. A fellow mom came to my rescue and introduced the book. I don't know why it was so tricky, but I just couldn't say it!

Anyway...We took a few months off from book club because of the holidays and came back together in February to celebrate the reading of From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg. If you are not familiar with this book, the Metropolitan Museum of Art serves as the background for a mystery surrounding a work thought to possibly be Michelangelo's. A brother and sister spend the book looking for clues while living at the museum. It was a fun read.

As an appropriate celebration, we decided to host our book club at the local Art Museum. They have a great wing with classrooms that we were able to meet in and then we went for a short guided walk through part of the gallery!

Our craft this time was …

Back to School Celebration plus a FREE Printable!

I know a lot of homeschoolers people choose to not go all out for the back to school hullabaloo. That's awesome and I totally get it.  But me? Well I love this time of year...mostly**.  I like to clean out the school room, buy the needed (or not so needed) school supplies, organize the books,  sharpen the pencils and launch into another year. It helps me to feel re-invigorated and ready to tackle the challenges that lie ahead, because, let's be honest, there will be challenges! But still, this makes me feel happy!


I remember being so excited before the first day of school, and even though our look a little different, I want my boys to be excited about starting school back too. So, every year we do a couple of fun things for the 1st day back.

Alice in Wonderland Book Celebration Club!

This past year, inspired by the BraveWriter idea of  "Party School"  I started a Book Celebration group with a few local homeschool families. Every other month we read a book and come together to celebrate it! It's a book club with a festive flair, and so far, the kids are having a blast!

So, I thought I would blog our parties for anyone who would like to read, you know, like the grandparents.

Our first Book Celebration was in September for Alice in Wonderland. We met at a local park to have our very own Mad Hatter's Tea Party! 


We started with a introductions and an icebreaker. Make the Cheshire Cat Smile was a winner!

One person was the Queen of Hearts and tried to get anyone at the party to smile, proving that they were, in fact, the Cheshire Cat! The Queen could do anything to make them smile EXCEPT touch them!

When the Queen revealed the Cheshire Cat, we crowned a new Queen and began again!

This was a fun way to get everyone laughing and comfortable with each ot…