Skip to main content

My name is what?

Hello. My name is Cassie. And I'm apparently trying to be a blogger. Again. This poor blog has been resurrected from it's painful death in 2012 after a whopping 2 posts. I'm awesome like that.

Welcome to my world. I don't have a specific direction for this yet, which probably means that noone whatsoever is going to enjoy it. And that's ok. Eventually I will figure it out, or not. Either way, you're still reading, so ha.

Hello again. My name is Mommy.

I always wanted to be a mom. It defines me. It shapes me. It has changed and grown me.
And it completely threatens to swallow me. Who am I when I'm not cleaning the spilled cereal and mopping vomit off of the floor for the 4th time today? Who am I when the boys are gone and I am alone with the quiet of my own breathing and feel like I might suffocate from the stillness? Who am I?

Hello. My name is Wife. 
Ah, this one, well, there is a good chance that you will get to know that I am a wife. I have an amazing husband. And I dive headfirst into everything I do with him. But that's about all you get, because, hey, at my heart I'm a private girl.

Hello. My name is Teacher.
Ha. So, one thing you should know about me before we start all of this is that it would be a more appropriate introduction if I said I'm a reluctant homeschooler. Only recently, as in the last month or so, have I fully embraced the idea of home educating my children. And I'm on my second year. I guess you can say that I'm a little stubborn and take a while to warm up to new ideas. But as I do, I realize that I love it. Usually.

Hello. My name is Mess.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Maybe I should have just started with that. And maybe ended with it. New post title: I'm a mess.

Hello. My name is Cassie and I'm a work in progress.

I hope you will join me for the journey, which will probably be full of craft and sewing projects, random info about homeschooling, parenting breakthroughs (and setbacks), and full on crazy. I'll try to keep the self-obsessed talk to a minimum going forward. You just grab the popcorn and enjoy the craziness. Happy to provide your entertainment.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry tea time with boys

In our home we can easily fill our days with busyness. With two little boys, life IS busyness. But the chaos that is the modern life can easily push that busyness into chaos. We have sports and activities on top of a educational plan that challenges each of the boys. It's easy to get lost in the challenge and tally up your successes. It's harder to slow down and find beauty and just savor a moment. In my heart I desperately want the boys to remember more than just their multiplication tables from our journey together. I want them to have wonderful memories of our time. So, I'm very diligent about making sure we have those opportunities. We take hikes, we ride bikes, we do science experiments, we build legos. Have you notieced a theme? We DO. In case you missed it earlier, boys are BUSY! (Disclaimer: I'm sure girls are too. I just have no frame of reference. Sorry) So, I have my hands full with these two little boys and then I read these lovely, I mean, Lovely, did you

Blast from the past

One of the things that Alex and I try to do on a semi-regular basis is go out on dates. Sometime, somewhere, I read that going out with your spouse once a week allowed you to continue to grow and build your relationship, especially once your children are born. That way, when your children are grown and out of the house, you are not sitting across from a complete stranger. Well, we certainly don't make it out once a week, but I think we do pretty good at least going once a month.

Our Favorite Phonics Program

Reading. Without a great foundation of reading the remainder of a child's education will be a struggle, and for me, that was incredibly daunting. So, how do you teach it? Phonics? Sight words? Whole language? Some combination of the above? There are advocates for all sides, research for and against them all, but through the research I have done, we chose to utilize phonics. Now, I could bore you and go on and on about the why, but there are already great resources out there for that. Instead I'm going to share my struggle with teaching reading (fun!) and some resources we used along the way.